🤔 Ask Anything Thread (Newbie Friendly)

My colleague should be in touch with you now :slight_smile:

And I’ll look into the email error. Thanks for point it out!

thank you.

1 Like

Great, Thank you very much for the quick response!

1 Like

Hi P.P

Thanks a lot!
Have a nice day!

1 Like

Perfect, thank you!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Help with OTree Integration

Hi,
For my study, participants must have a computer mouse (separate from their laptop track pad). I can’t see this as a prescreen question. How do I go about ensuring that participants have a mouse before undertaking my study please?

I have seen the custom prescreen option - but would this require running a study which uses my prolific budget? Is there a simpler way.

Thanks so much.

1 Like

Hi Josie

Welcome to the community!

While discouraged (since it can use up participants time for no payment)
it is sometimes acceptable to include a screening question at the very
start of the survey, if this screening requirement is made clear in the
survey description which participants can read before they start the
the survey.

In other words if you make it very plain that participants are required to
have a computer mouse separated to the the trackball of their laptop in
the study description, and then ask them at the beginning of the study
whether they have a have a computer mouse separated to the the
trackball of their laptop, you can imho fairly reject their participation,
finish the survey, return the participant to Prolific and ask them to “return” their participation.

The problem you may then still have is that participants will be aware
that if they reply “No” they will not be able to participate so they may
click yes even though they only have a track ball.

To reduce the likelihood of this you might ask “Does you computer have
the following (click all those that apply - if you don’t understand the meaning please ignore)
HDMI port
VGA port
A LCD screen
A non-LCD screen
A computer mouse separate to the the trackball of your laptop”
This wording would reduce, I think, the likelihood of participants
answering yes to everything just to be able to take part

All the above, my humble opinion not the official position of Prolific
but I think I am right m(._.)m

Tim

1 Like

Thanks for your reply - very helpful indeed!

2 Likes

Hi There

I have question regarding GDPR & Prolific.
In a nutshell, the data protection officer of my institute (in Germaany) says that in order to run the study at prolific, my institute and prolific should sign a contract for a joint control of the personal data (that we do not have access to as researcher). This is so accordingly to the new European law on data protection which came in effect a few months back.

My question is:

-Have you heard of anything like this before?

• Is it possible to have a contract between my institute and prolific? within the next few weeks?
2 Likes

Hi,
I want to prescreen participants so that I only have English or German native speakers.
However, I receive the error message “Problem modifying prescreeners. Could not find existing prescreener matching ID” - it seems to only work without prescreening. Could you help me with that?

Thank you very much!

Best,
Myriam

1 Like

I solved it! (It worked after I have duplicated my study draft and tried it again)

2 Likes

Hey @Ignacio_Rebollo, welcome to the community! :tada:

Since this is a legal request, you can get in touch my colleague Tom at hello@prolific.co.

He’ll be able to help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
I have another question: my study is online and I’ve indicated that I want to recruit 20 participants only, but now more than 50 have consented (I used my consent form as the survey URL as suggested in the thread). I assume that I can still stop testing after 20 submissions?

Furthermore, it says that the average reward per hour is at 57 pounds, but I indicated that participants earn 4.45 per 30 mins, so it is an hourly reward of roughly 9 pounds (which was also displayed before I have had first participants).
I assume that 57 pounds are displayed because the time between consenting and doing the experiment can vary a lot. In my study, participants need to consent first, then make an appointment via a Doodle link and after I have found a partner (I’m always testing 2 participants at once) they are sent a Zoom link and then the actual experiment takes around 25-30 mins. So the process can take an hour or a week depending on availability.
So my question is: when I’m clicking “approve and pay” from now on, are participants still paid 4.45 pounds only or automatically more than that?

Many thanks!

Hi,

I guess that out of the 20 participants who initially agreed to take part in your studies, many of them decided to drop out later (e.g., they did not complete and chose to return the survey). Then, Prolific automatically recruited new participants to your studies. That’s why it was 50, not 20.

You will only have to pay 4.45 per 30 mins :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great, Thank you very much Chloe - that makes sense :slight_smile:
(It’s my first study on Prolific…)

2 Likes

Hello! I’m wondering if we can set up a team/lab researcher account so that all members of my research team can access one central pool of Prolific funds for their surveys. Is this an available option?

Thank you,
Clare

1 Like

Hi, I’m sorry for having so many questions! I’m testing pairs of participants to have interactive Zoom meetings with them, but sometimes only one shows up. I assume that I should still pay the participant who was present in these cases although my experimental session couldn’t take place?

Many thanks for your help!

Hi @Clare_Grall,
Welcome to the forum! Currently, there are no team accounts in Prolific. In our lab, we set up one account from which all studies using the general lab funds are administered. The main downside is that messages with participants can reference one or many studies. A group account feature would be convenient, or even a way to transfer funds between accounts (so each person could set up their own and you could transfer funds to them as needed.)
Paul

Hi @Myriam_Weiss,
IMO, at least a partial payment would probably be the best route. you could ask them to “return” the submission and award a bonus amount/hour for the amount of time they spent on the study. Though if you have the funds and the study is short, it might be easiest to simply approve the submission

In addition, you could set up a duplicate study with a custom allowlist and provide those participants with an option to try again! Many participants are genuinely disappointed when they run into errors while trying to participate.

1 Like