🤔 Ask Anything Thread (Newbie Friendly)

Hello!

I am studying expatriate adjustment and want to obtain a sample of expatriates. However, I cannot find a way to pre-screen them with the criteria available. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with targeting expats?

My definition of an expat: A person who is employed by a company in their home country but is on an international assignment in another country

1 Like

Hi there! Welcome to the community, it’s great to have you here!

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve had that experience. We take participant behaviour like this extremely seriously. Send a report to our support team, we’ll investigate and make sure this doesn’t happen again. Thank you for letting us know.

Once you get a support ticket number, let me know what it is and I’ll make sure it’s prioritised :slight_smile:

I need to prescreen for participants without a hearing disability, and I can’t see a way to do it using your filters. Only to prescreen for participants with a disibility. Is it possible?

1 Like

Hello!

First time user with a quick question - I have a task which features multiple groups with participants randomly allocated to each group. In the past I’ve done this automatically using the final number of the participants ID numbers (participant 001 = group 1, 002 = group 2 etc.). My understanding is that it’s preferable while using Prolific to use Prolific IDs as participant numbers via the URL hand-over, but these IDs are alpha-numerical, and thus mess up my system a bit. Is there digit in the Prolific ID which is always guaranteed to be a number? Fingers crossed the last one is, then I wont have to change anything!

3 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Top Up Issues

2 posts were split to a new topic: Disability Filters

Hey Astrid, it’s good to have you here! :grin:

Unfortunately, it may be difficult to get the sample you need.

You may be able to find what you’re looking for by recruiting a custom sample.

Essentially, you would create two studies. The first would be a prescreening study in which you would use the following filters:

• Immigration Question (this checks whether a person has moved country from their place of birth)
  • Employment status (to make sure they are employed)

In this study, you can ask them whether they are on international assignment. From there, you can invite those who say yes to your main study using a Custom Allowlist.

However, this approach may be more expensive, and there isn’t a guarantee that you’ll find what you’re looking for. Sorry I don’t have better news! Let me know if I can help further :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Steve, it’s great to have you here! :grin:

Unfortunately, there is no digit which is guaranteed to always be a number. But they are hexadecimal numbers which are roughly split between odd and even numbers, if that helps?

This may be too technical, but you could convert the hex number into a decimal number, then use your usual method? Tools like this are able to do that. But, I’m not sure if your survey software supports that functionality.

(And when you can, say hi to your fellow Prolifics) :wave:

Great, thanks for the info! The study is a psychological task programmed in Python/Javascript, so hex to decimal conversion is easy-peasy.

1 Like

Lovely stuff! Let me know if I can help with anything else :slight_smile:

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your reply. I did just as you recommended, and so far it’s looking very good.

I have obtained a sample of 52 people by targeting immigrants in the countries I am investigating. Now I have directed my final questionnaire at these 52 people, and I will expand my search if necessary (I have some other data that I have collected for free, which is why I can live with a small sample like this).

There is hope yet for my Master’s thesis :slight_smile:

NB: I have a hard time determining which participants I should reject. My survey takes around 5 minutes for me to complete if read carefully, but many of my respondents only take 1-3 minutes. How do I determine if they are super fast readers or inaccurate responses?

Best regards,
Astrid

3 Likes

That’s great to hear! :slight_smile:

We typically find that speed is not a very reliable reason for rejection. Participants have a variable reading speed and some use tools (like browser extensions) to be able to answer surveys quicker while answering accurately (e.g. pre-filling common questions like demographics and & hover-over responding to multi-choice questions). So, the distribution of valid completion times is often wider than expected.

We normally recommend using multiple fair attention checks rather than relying only on response time. Attention checks will give you a better indication of submission quality than fast response times. Have you included any of these in your study?

If you have, and you’re still concerned, I can go through what we deem to be a good cut-off point for speed :slight_smile:

(And when you can, say hi to your fellow Prolifics ) :wave:

1 Like

Hi Josh,
Once I’ve set up a survey with Qualtrics and integrated it with Prolific, where will the data live? Will it remain with Qualtrics?
Thanks,
Rosemary

1 Like

Hey Rosemary, welcome to the community! Glad you’re here :slight_smile:

The data collected by the survey itself will live on Qualtrics. But participants’ demographic info will live on Prolific. That’s why it’s important that you record their Prolific IDs, so you’ll be able to match participants (and their demographic info) to their answers.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if I can help further!

Hi Josh,

For my current research, I would like to recruit German-speaking participants currently living in Germany. It is very important that the participants are genuinely living in Germany, as my survey is focused on COVID-19 related issues that vary between countries. Are you confident that I can recruit approx. 600 participants fulfilling my criteria using Prolific? Is there an option to add a prescreening question to filter out participants who might have selected the wrong country?

Thanks,
Leonard

1 Like

Hey Leonard, welcome aboard! It’s great to have you here :tada:

We have approx 1,635 people who fulfil that criteria. So, I’m fairly sure you’ll be able to find what you need!

We do a number of checks to ensure that participant demographic info is accurate, including IP address and mobile phone verification. You can read more about those checks here. So, I wouldn’t be too worried about participants who might have selected the wrong country.

But, just to be sure you can re-ask our prescreening questions at the start of your study:

1. In what country do you currently reside?
  2. What is your first language? / Which of the following languages are you fluent in?

You can tell participants who answer incorrectly to return their submission. You must use the same wording as the Prolific prescreening questions above to avoid any misinterpretations.

I hope that makes sense! Let me know if I can help further :slight_smile:

Hello prolific world,

• Background details relevant for the question:
    I’m working for a German University and for us is quite tricky with billing for projects. What happens usually is that we need to submit a bill at the end of the study and we’ll get reimbursed. That’s of course not idea when one needs to run a large scale experiment. The other option we’re given here is to write the plan and the assumed bill and send this further. After a while (usually up to 4 weeks) this pre-bill is preocessed and money is transferred to the account of the student/PI that runs the study. Then the student has to transfer the money from their account to prolific.

• The actual question starts here:
    We’d like that the money would go directly from the University to Prolific. Is it possible to get an installment bill after setting up the study and fwd this to our department that does the payments and then for them to make the payment that would reach the prolific account/project directly? If more money is needed another further bill can be then send directly.
    That would be ideal for PhD students such as myself. I would feel a lot more protected that in the case when I’d need to pay the whole large scale study from my pocket and then wait for reimbursement. It would also lessen the annoyance of iteratively small transfers from own account of the student to Prolific. Is this a situation other researchers encounter? How do you deal with it in your group?

Best,
Laura

2 Likes

Hi,

I have another set of questions that popped up while setting up our study:

• If we set a study in a team, is then the project on prolific shared between accounts or do we need share credentials of the prolific account?
    [I just noticed that there is a feature in prolific where one could add collaborators on the study. Does the collaborator get full edit rights on the study?]

• Can I have a prolific account with which I “charge” the project that is shared?
    [My assumption is that the “creator” of the job has to top its account and can share that project with collaborators who are able to edit and configure the job further. I haven’t tested this yet though.]

Thanks in advance,
Laura

1 Like

Hello,
Just a question about managing the number of submissions in a study. Is it possible to add more submissions to a study after it has been launched? Say you launch a study with 50 participants and decide later you want to collect 20 more, can you open the existing study to more participants or do you have to create a new study?

If it’s the latter, could you direct me to any resources on preventing people from the earlier studies from participating again?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Using Prolific for the first time. I have a question:

I am looking to recruit a specific population (such as informal caregivers). The Prolific platform does not have any existing filter to select this population as research participants.

In such a case, has anyone received any direct help from the Prolific team to help recruit outside of the population selection filters? Are there other ways to recruit this specific population at an affordable cost?

1 Like