🤔 Ask Anything Thread (Newbie Friendly)

Dear Nathan

Welcome to the forum:-)

I am sorry that there have not been any responses. I am afraid that I don’t know of a way to allow participants to use personalised links multiple times.

Unless, you could have a splash page at your survey (which you record to prolific) and then some sort of branching so that the participants are sent to seperate personalised URLS depending on the Participant ID that they input to the splash page. THis could in theory be achieve using a free google forum maybe, but it would I think be quite easy to achieve using something like Qualtrics or Gorilla which has advance branching, afaik.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. Fortunately for me, the multiple-use personal links are not a requisite of my study, rather a handy extra. I’ll keep searching in the meantime. Thanks anyway for your time. Have a great day!

Nathan

Hi all, newbie question. We would like to run a study in the US with 5,000 respondents, using Prolific’s new “representative sample.” But these only allow samples of a max of 1,500. If we request 4 samples (to get 5k respondents) we then need to pay more fees than we would have with a single one request of 5k. Is there something I am missing here? Is there a way to increase the max sample size for a representative sample?

Dear Natalia

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Sorry to be slow.

I am afraid that as far as I am aware, due to the low numbers in some of the demographic sub-segments I think that representative samples only run to 1500 people. You may be able to reduce the selectivity (making the same not quite representative ) for a greater number, or perhaps Prolific participants have increased in number, but either way I am afraid that would be something that you would need to contact support about.

I am sorry I am unable to help.

Tim

1 Like

I looks like prolific has changed how the pre-screeners work, and broken some things for me. If you have methods M and W, and you use these methods for many studies across many projects, you could create a new project, select the Participation on Prolific screener->Exclude from previous studies- and get a list of all the studies you have run. Then, you could go through and exclude all those that you knew used method M, for example.

Now, the screener appears to limit the previous studies from which to screen to the current project (create a new project, create a new study, try to use the exclude from previous studies screener and observe there are no studies listed from which to screen). I see no way to screen from studies outside the current project, and this is a big deal for me. Am I going to have to move all my completed studies back to a single project in order to correctly screen?

Thanks, Tim!

It appears that a subject failed an attention check due to an honest mistake. However, our protocol won’t allow us to accept their submission. I would like to have them return the study so they don’t have a rejection on their record. However, since the study is complete there is no option for returning it. How would I fix this?

Dear Warren

Welcome back :slight_smile:

Sorry to be slow.

Since the subject failed an attention check due to an honest mistake,
and therefore presumably took the time (for which they should be
therefore paid) to submit data, I am, please forgive me, failing to understand
why they would not be paid in the usual way.

Please forgive me but, in my humble opinion, therefore, it seems to me
that it is your protocol which should advisably be changed rather than
any change be made on the part of the participant or the system.

However, it is quite simple for the participant to return their submission
at any time using the little red anti clockwise arrow shown in the image
below.
Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 11-22-00 Prolific

Tim

You’re right. I approved their submission. Thanks!

Dear team,

I have a question and appreciate your help to advise. In my collected data, there are few submissions with Time-out status. However, I have received their responses to all the survey questions.
What is the best practice in research to handle these submissions.

Thank you,
Sameha

Welcome back Sameha

When I take part as a participant, sometimes the call for participants comes at a time when I am busy, e.g. about to eat lunch. Sometimes I click on take part nonetheless and do the survey after lunch. Sometimes this results in “Timed Out.”

Similarly participants might, in addition to the above pause prior to the survey, take a break during the survey because they are called away, or because one of the questions was difficult and they felt the need to Google, or because someone called them on their phone, or came to their door.

With timed out responses, the way you respond is up to you.

I personally look at participant responses to attention checks and even if they are timed out, I pay them. I think.

Tim

(post deleted by author)

Thank you Tim :slight_smile:

I understand and It sounds fine to accept the submission then, as long as attention checks were correct.

You and the team have been always helpful! Thank you :slight_smile: