🤔 Ask Anything Thread (Newbie Friendly)

When setting up a new task, is there a way for me to make sure that respondents who have participated in my other studies are not invited?

1 Like

Hi Josh, I’ve just realized one of my studies did not recruit any participant but the money still be deducted. The reason might be that I tried to delete this study but mistakenly clicked ‘complete’. How could I get the money back? I really need this fund to start my next study! Thank you so much :sob:

1 Like

Hey @csducate, welcome to the community! :tada:

the two groups are finishing at very different speeds

Now that more time has passed, did that average change?

But then do I need to pay Group 1 more since they completed the same study?

Since they’re different studies, there’s no need to adjust as long either study is not ‘underpaying’. Unless, your results might be compromised by the different groups being paid differently?

Hey @Emily_West, welcome to the community! :tada:

Yes, there are two ways of doing this:

Or

• You can use the filter labelled “Previous Studies” which will block those who have participated in past studies

Let me know if you have any other questions"

Hi @Josh , thanks for the reply!

I paused the study because I was worried about the average dropping below the minimum, so I haven’t let any more people take it. When I paused it, 250/500 had already taken it, so I’m worried the average won’t change. Further, I looked at my Group 1 data, and there were hardly any outliers in terms of time–only a few people taking longer than 20 minutes and no one taking anywhere near the max amount of time, whereas in Group 2, at least half are taking >20 minutes with several taking the maximum amount of time.

My main concern is with the average compensation dropping below the minimum and having to pay Group 2 more (which lowers the sample size I can afford). If the problem was common to both groups, I’d say I must’ve underestimated how long the study would take and take the hit. But I have 500 people in Group 1 who indicate otherwise. Does Prolific have a way of investigating something like this, or should I just plan to stop my study early if my Group 2 participants are being “underpaid”?

1 Like

Thanks for the additional info!

Could you provide me with the name of the study with the slower completion times, so I can investigate this for you? :slight_smile:

Both branches of the study are called “Social Experiences and Reactions Survey”. The branch with Group 1 is completed, and the branch with Group 2 is active but paused. I can message you with more details if necessary.

Thank you for looking into this!

1 Like

Hi @Josh, I have a question related to Samuel’s: Is there any functionality on Prolific that would allow the participant to participate as much or as little as they want–that is, perform as many tasks as they want until they get bored, then opt out, then get paid a per hour amount commensurate with the time they spent? Whereas another user who completed fewer tasks / spent less time would be paid less?

1 Like

Thank you for the details! I’ll look into it and see if anything unusually was going on :slight_smile:

Hey @CHRISTIAN_WILLIAMS, welcome to the community! Glad you’re here :tada:

get paid a per hour amount commensurate with the time they spent?

Unfortunately, participant rewards are fixed as soon as you publish a study. It’s not possible to automatically pay people different amounts.

But what you can do, is pay everyone the minimum amount (£5/hour), then offer bonus payments according to how many tasks a participant completes.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :slight_smile:

Oh, interesting solution. Thank you, @Josh.

As far as implementing this, what’s the simplest route do you think? Would we need to manually identify how many tasks each participant performed and then provide them with that bonus? Or, are we able to pass a URL parameter back to Prolific that includes the number of tasks completed, and that being used to automatically calculate bonus? I assume not possible but wanted to check.

Hi there, I’m nearly ready to upload my questionnaire to Prolific. I have had funding agreed from my University and plan to give my bank details so that I pay Prolific and the Uni reimburses me at a later date. However, I’m concerned that if my questionnaire takes longer than the estimated time, then I will be charged more than what the University has agreed to pay me. Is there a way of capping the amount I pay Prolific - even if this means getting less participants than my ideal sample? I want to avoid going over the amount that my University has agreed to fund me for this project. Many thanks.