🤔 Questions about the Competition

Thanks for your reply, Josh!

1 Like

Hi - are references included in the 1000 words limit?

/Christopher

1 Like

Hey @Christopher_Ebbrecht, welcome to the community! :tada:

No, references aren’t included.

1 Like

Hi Josh!

Regarding the Grant competition, does the 1000 word limit still apply? I’ve gone through some of the posts and they are extremely detailed. So, I’m pretty worried that the proposal i have prepared (within the 1000 word limit) would fall short in terms of the amount of information provided…

1 Like

Hi @Josh !

I’m having problems to register our proposal on AsPredicted, as they don’t accept our company to register with them.

What else can we do here?

Regards,

Rico

1 Like

Hey @rico!

Feel free to use another pre-reg service like OSF :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,
Can we delete the sharable link to our OSF project on our proposal post after the voting period?
I made an embargo for my OSF project and do not want the sharable link to be visible to others after the competition before my research is published.
Thank you

1 Like

That’s fine, as long as we have an opportunity to assess it beforehand :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just submitted my proposal but it has to be approved by the moderators. Will I be penalized for late submission If I did before the deadline but it hasn’t been approved by the moderation team?

1 Like

Hey @Krystian_Ciesielski, welcome to the community!

I’ve just approved it :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks for organizing this “grant competition” !

it’s fun and gratifying at the same time to see so many interesting projects out there , and it is also an invaluable opportunity to learn about new methods and novel ideas! It will be hard indeed to pick one project!

The entire voting system is an experiment in an of itself, if you decide to repeat it, glad to join the discussion about possible new rules set.

To this regard, some projects have votes from before July 15th, but I think they are not supposed to be counted, right? Are you going to reset them or simply ignore them?

Thanks!
Stefano

2 Likes

The voting does seem to leave a little to be desired (but it is ‘free’ money, sooo… :man_shrugging:). When you see a new project gain dozens of votes within 24 hours of it being posted, it does feel that most projects never actually stood a fair chance :frowning: I get wanting to keep it casual, but 10000GBP is quite the prize (and very generous of Prolific!) and the award could make or break many deserving projects.

My suggestion would be to allow everyone who submits a proposal to get X votes to distribute to other projects (which they have to use, no sitting on them!), and the voting period would start at the end of the submission phase. The vote tallies should be hidden too!

Another suggestion is to make it more like a raffle, where each vote is a ticket, meaning the most voted project has the largest chance to win, but everyone has a chance! I feel like that would keep everyone on their toes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Stefano_Balietti, thanks for your feedback!

The entire voting system is an experiment in an of itself, if you decide to repeat it, glad to join the discussion about possible new rules set.

You’re completely right. This is the first time we’re running a public competition like this, and we’ve certainly learnt alot along the way. We’d be really glad to get you involved in a discussion about improving how it’s rolled out, if we decide to do this again

To this regard, some projects have votes from before July 15th, but I think they are not supposed to be counted, right? Are you going to reset them or simply ignore them?

All of those votes count. We added the 10 day voting period to ensure that those who submitted their proposal on the last day got at least that time to gather votes.

@Mikeology I love those suggestions. We’ll take these into account for the next iteration of this, if there is one. If you’d like, you can get involved in discussions about designing a better system, if we decide to do this again?

Hey @Josh ,thanks for the reply.

About “all votes count,” this is not what you wrote earlier. Below is the text of the email you sent to us when you extended the voting period:

"
1. A 2-week extension to the competition:

• We’ll now be accepting entries until July 14th (midnight - GMT)!

2. A 10-day voting-only period:

• From July 15th - 25th , all proposals will be available for evaluation and voting only. This is to ensure there is adequate time for our community to evaluate and vote for proposals submitted nearer to the deadline. So, at the very least, every proposal will get 10 days to gather votes.
  • We won’t be accepting new entries during this time.
    "
    So, there should be a 10-day voting period only, the earlier votes should not be counted. I hope you can keep your word, otherwise many people (certainly I) would have not submitted close to the deadline with other projects so much ahead of votes.

Can you comment on it?

Thanks,
Stefano

1 Like

My sincere apologies for the confusion caused.

It was certainly not our intention to mislead anyone. I should have made it clear that the 10-day period would be in addition to the 10-week submission and voting period. We were expecting well over 100 proposals, and we didn’t think it would be likely that people would have time to go through them all within a ‘voting-only’ period. So, we allowed the voting to occur as the submissions were coming in to spread the ‘workload’.

From July 15th - 25th , all proposals will be available for evaluation and voting only.

This was meant to indicate that we would not be taking any more submissions, and only allowing voting. Not that voting could only occur during this period. I understand that is frustrating, and I apologize again for the confusion.

Hi @Josh ,

Thanks for the clarification. That formulation was a bit ambiguous, yes, but I know there was no second intention there. Ok, no problem, I think this is still a worthwhile experiment with a very generous prize by Prolific. As I said, happy to discuss future rules, in case you decide to repeat.

Good luck to all 117 proposals!

1 Like

@Stefano_Balietti @Mikeology

We’ve just opened a competition where you can design a fairer way to allocate our grants. We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Hei @Josh , this is great, but, here it comes, … why does it have to be a competition?

It would have been nicer if the community of the forum, together, would have shaped the rules of the actual competition without being in competition. What kind of community do we want to be if we have to compete for everything?

Here is a more practical comment, the link in your post to “Submit your proposal on the forum” seems broken.

Right now we are in the middle of the semester, I hope to find some time to send you more useful ideas.

Thanks,
Stefano

1 Like

Hey @Stefano_Balietti, I’m glad you’re getting involved. I’m looking forward to hearing your ideas soon!

It would have been nicer if the community of the forum, together, would have shaped the rules of the actual competition without being in competition. What kind of community do we want to be if we have to compete for everything?

I agree completely, but we’ve found that people are more motivated when a competitive aspect is introduced. It’s a lot to ask someone to put lots of time and thought into a proposal, without the incentive of perhaps winning some sort of prize. Hopefully, the competition aspect only enhances the quality of the ideas! :slight_smile: