🤔 Questions about the Competition

My sincere apologies for the confusion caused.

It was certainly not our intention to mislead anyone. I should have made it clear that the 10-day period would be in addition to the 10-week submission and voting period. We were expecting well over 100 proposals, and we didn’t think it would be likely that people would have time to go through them all within a ‘voting-only’ period. So, we allowed the voting to occur as the submissions were coming in to spread the ‘workload’.

From July 15th - 25th , all proposals will be available for evaluation and voting only.

This was meant to indicate that we would not be taking any more submissions, and only allowing voting. Not that voting could only occur during this period. I understand that is frustrating, and I apologize again for the confusion.

Hi @Josh ,

Thanks for the clarification. That formulation was a bit ambiguous, yes, but I know there was no second intention there. Ok, no problem, I think this is still a worthwhile experiment with a very generous prize by Prolific. As I said, happy to discuss future rules, in case you decide to repeat.

Good luck to all 117 proposals!

1 Like

@Stefano_Balietti @Mikeology

We’ve just opened a competition where you can design a fairer way to allocate our grants. We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Hei @Josh , this is great, but, here it comes, … why does it have to be a competition?

It would have been nicer if the community of the forum, together, would have shaped the rules of the actual competition without being in competition. What kind of community do we want to be if we have to compete for everything?

Here is a more practical comment, the link in your post to “Submit your proposal on the forum” seems broken.

Right now we are in the middle of the semester, I hope to find some time to send you more useful ideas.

Thanks,
Stefano

1 Like

Hey @Stefano_Balietti, I’m glad you’re getting involved. I’m looking forward to hearing your ideas soon!

It would have been nicer if the community of the forum, together, would have shaped the rules of the actual competition without being in competition. What kind of community do we want to be if we have to compete for everything?

I agree completely, but we’ve found that people are more motivated when a competitive aspect is introduced. It’s a lot to ask someone to put lots of time and thought into a proposal, without the incentive of perhaps winning some sort of prize. Hopefully, the competition aspect only enhances the quality of the ideas! :slight_smile: